Thursday, August 21, 2008
Making It Through
“It is better to try, instead of giving up,” I told myself repeatedly as I was 200 meters away from the end of my final lap. I tucked my chin in, for more force through the wind. My strides widened, to make me go twice as farther than the distance I was at. I started to breath in and out through my nose, so I would not be as tired and dehydrated. Staring at the ground while running, yet still in focus, kept me from looking up on how much more I needed to go, was my strategy.I wanted to feel as if no one was watching, and only I, was running the 400 meters, alone. Although, I had glanced from a side view, over my shoulder. I saw how close my position would be replaced, in just a few minutes. I pumped my arms in a form of a 90 degree angle. I took deep breaths and forming my back straight, thinking I would be running a faster pace.Instead it only made me in deep sharp pain, more than I was already in, to my hamstring and my groin. Knowing! Just knowing I would not make it, I was getting to a point of dropping to the ground and just watching my opponents zoom right pass by me, like I was not competing. Like I was not an aggressive competitor, yet someone who gives up easily. I began losing faith in myself, because to me, I am what you call a, “sorry loser”. Competing under pressure, is certainly NOT my idea of winning. My heart began to race, pounding hard that you can literally see my pulse. My mind went completely blank, not knowing if I should stop or keep on going. My legs began to shake as if it were to fall off. My feet ached so I would have not completed the event. I just could not handle the thought and feeling of losing a position to place for JV Championships at Kaiser High School. Right when I heard my team yell, “Your almost there, do not let go! PUSH PUSH PUSH!,” they motivated me, pulling me straight for the end. I realized winning the event would not only be for me, but for my team. When one of us loses, we all lose. When one of us wins, we all win. But, as for me, we are all winners. In the end, the sense of pain, sweat, and a drop of tear, was the look and feeling of victory and accomplishment of placing 4th at JV Championships.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
HI BESTFRIEND!
You and Bryan had the same topic.
But two different, yet well written stories.
I could picture the emotions you had at that very moment.
I can imagine the sweat running down your face, as you're taking part in this event.
Although, you wanted to just give up. You stuck through with it.
You really detailed how you felt.
I want to know more about you're accomplishment.
You have a few repetitive sentences at the end.
But it's nothing we can't fix.
:]
GOOD JOB BUDDY!
Hi Ariel,
Nice job of reliving this experience so that you could capture it in words. Your exhaustion and determination come through in the specific sensory detail of all you were going through, which makes for strong voice in the piece.
Here's what's needed for the revision:
--first, try to break up the experience into "stages" that show the conflict and then the resolution (which was also the coming of age)
--put those "stages" into different paragraphs and note where the "turning point" came in your race.
--then, look at the separate paragraphs and be sure that your word choice and sentence structure is grammatically correct and logical (I can help you with that). You've got some strong description here but sometimes the mechanics gets in the way of the message.
--once you've got things organized more clearly, try to bring in the idea of how this physical struggle to finish the race was also a turning point or coming of age for you as an individual.
Great job on draft...I look forward to the final.
mrs s
Hey Ariel
I can feel the emotion coming off this paper. A lot of detail going into your feelings as the race was going on.
Organization could be improved by separating the race into sections. But overall good voice, ideas, and word choice. Spelling looks good.
I'm excited to read the revision. Good Job :)
Post a Comment