Friday, April 24, 2009

JOURNAL #24

MY PASSION:
To learn more about Broadcast Journalism.

RESOURCES:
Interviews;
Rep Wakai? Visit the KHON 2, if possible.Online research and library


QUESTIONS I WANT ANSWERED?
What's the key to making an eye catching story/video with simple camera techniques and editing skills? How do you create a good sequence with not that much footage? How do you make the footage look more high
quality?


RESOURCE PLAN:
Asking my english teacher if it's okay with her, if she could contact Rep Wakai?(: Call KHON 2. Going to the bookstore or library. Internet researching.


POSSIBLE PRODUCT OR PERFORMANCE:
To share what I have learned, I would like to create a video/documentary or a book.

4 comments:

lsueoka said...

Hi Ariel,

Nice brainstorming on your Icarus Project! And, hey, I've got a good suggestion for something else you could do...sign up for BJII next year...hehe...

So, here's my commentary...

First, I would suggest that you try to focus your topic more specifically. Broadcast Journalism is a really broad topic. From your questions, it seems that you want to concentrate on your camera and editing skills? 'cause there's also learning about the business, the career, etc that are part of the topic.

If you, indeed, want to focus on your camera and editing techniques, then I would suggest that your first step would be to do a thorough critique/assessment of your work. Perhaps we could ask Peter Tang to give you a critique..he's a pretty hard critiquer and he would be able to target lots of specific things to work on.

From there, you can begin to focus your research. Peter would be a good source and I would be willing to contact Rep Wakai (however, he's quite busy as the Legislature wraps up so he may not be immediately available to answer your questions).

I think another source would be for you to complete the internship application I offered a while back. That way, you'd get to visit KHNL or KITV in person and get some of your research done, firsthand, with the pros.

I agree that online research and even books can be good basic sources, so I would advise you to start quickly to do some searches online. I've already given you guys several links (like the DJTV site that offers lots of instructional videos)

Once you have gotten a good critique of your work, you can focus your research questions and research gathering more effectively.

As far as the product or performance, have you thought about making a "teaching video" where you can actually make a video of yourself teaching what you have learned? That would certainly have an impact on your audience...future BJ students :)

Okay...great start...don't forget to respond to my comment on Monday 4/27 in period 3.

good luck...
mrs s

ARIELY said...

Hey hey Mrs. S(:

Thank you very much for helping me think deeper into this project. I was quite rough, but your commentary has helped.

And yes, my main focus is on my camera and editing skills, which I hope it will help me in a career. I think asking Peter would be a good idea. I usually see him around campus. As he supervised us at the last SNLB, it seems that he knows the best.

If it will be a hassle to get Rep Wakai I think I could work around it. I would like to complete the internship application. I'm really looking forward into this project as well.

As you brought up about a learning video instead. Like the videos you showed us in class about camera angles. I think that would be great. Since I only know the true basics on final cut, I was thinking of asking the vets for some help as well. (Ben, Tyler, and probably Mitchel)

I'm heading to library tomorrow after school. I've already got some online research.

I have saved some packages and other videos that Peter could critique .

Thanks again Mrs. S!


oh and, i'll be in BJII next year(:

lsueoka said...

Hi Ariel,

YAHOO!!!!! That's for your announcement about BJ next year :) :) :)

And great response to all of my comments. I think you are off to a great start with your project. If you need a DVD to compile all of your packages for Peter to critique, just ask Ben to get you one from our class supply :)

Good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing your project develop!
mrs s

lsueoka said...

Hi Ariel,

Sounds like you had a great learning experience at KHNL with Mrs. Sugimoto!

Be sure to post your research draft on your blog so that I can give you descriptive feedback before the final is due this Friday.

As far as the video, it sounds as if it will have lots of valuable information, but also that it may be difficult to organize clearly. I would suggest you outline what you are going to cover and that you label your clips in such as way that it will be easy to see what part of the timeline they belong on.

mrs s